Sunday, March 8, 2009

Digital Divides in the Suburbs

I just thought I'd share a little anecdote about my weekend that relates to one of the 4 C's (capability). My family had been having trouble with one of our computers and had tried to run some anti-virus software to clean things out. When I went home for the weekend they begged me to take a look at the computer and see if I could do anything about it. They had been having trouble installing an older version of AVG from a disc, so I went online and downloaded the most recent version.

It seemed interesting that one of the things that is somewhat required to do in college (I remember being prompted to set up an Anti-Virus and Firewall program when riving on campus) was far out of the reach of my parents.

Sadly all is not well, because a trojan virus keeps preventing the AVG program from updating its database of viruses through some internet trickery.

Has anyone else found that computer literacy has become much more common amongst our generation as opposed to that of our parents? What do you think it would take to get older generations up to speed with somewhat basic computing know-how?

No comments:

Post a Comment