Sunday, March 1, 2009

Video Response

I found this movie somewhat interesting. The individuals they chose to interview and showcase really brought the digital divide that does exsist. In particular, I am thinking of Louisa and Travis. On the one hand, we have Louisa who was involved with gang activity. Probably the farthest away you can get from technology in todays world. And we have Travis who attends a New Technology High School.

In Louisa case, just being in her situtaion created many disadvantages. Your friends have a lot of influence on what you do in life. By being in the gang, she wasn't exposed to computers. This already puts her at a disadvantage. While people her age are already learning how to utitlize them (capabitliy). I am very amazed how one could get out of the gang world and turn to computers. We are very lucky to have grown up with computers and our learning of it started when we were young. In her case, she needed to learn at a later age. I was also surprised by her determination. She saved money for 3 years(!) to buy a computer. I would never have guessed that. But it shows how much she wanted to learn and use a computer. At the end, I was surprised how she had a photoshop test which she did not pass. Based upon her willingness to purchase a computer and get out of the gang activity, I thought she would have passed with flying colors. However, she didn't.

On the opposite end of the realm, is Travis. He was far ahead of Louisa when it came to computers. Going to a technology based high school, he had it all at his fingertips. He had all the four C's. This gives him a distinct advantage over people who aren't around computers, like Louisa. He started at a younger age. You can only get better at something the more you are around it. After reading eemartin2's post, I never even thought about something at his high school. His h.s. didn't have music or sports. I think he got cheated out of a typical high school life. Everybody can remember the clicks in the hallways, letter men coats, prom, senior year. Its the typical life of a teenager growing up. Would you trade all that for a little advantage by going to a technology based high school?

I thought this video was very interesting. Growing up with computers all my life, I have never met somebody who never had a computer or the Internet. Watching a video like this, really makes me appreciate that I was able to have that "luxury" in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment