Friday, March 6, 2009

Video

Although I found the video kind of interesting, my initial reaction was I felt that a lot of the ideas and problems they posed were outdated. I feel like most of the problems they discussed are not as prevalent as they used to be. The idea that a high school could not have any computers or the internet nowadays seems completely absurd to me. I think trying to compare the type of digital divide that is happening today isn't very related to the digital divide that was shown in the movie. Computers are no longer a luxury for high schools but are accepted as an easy access tool to aid your education.
Also, I didn’t like the idea of New Tech High or whatever it was called. I understand the idea was to give students opportunities they wouldn’t normally have however it seemed to extreme to me, it was like the movie showed two opposite ends of the spectrum. I feel like students that went there yea obviously learned how to use a computer but they missed out on so much extracurricular activities and general education that they lacked in all other areas. I think in our world today, it’s not enough to be really good at one thing; you have to be a much more well rounded person to succeed.
In the video we saw the lives of four different students Kep, Luisa, Travis, and Cedra. They all came from different backgrounds which aided some and hindered others. Obviously Kep who came to the country from a very poor background and barely spoke English but had a tremendous work ethic and got a good job straight out of high school was one of the more successful stories. On the opposite end of backgrounds though is Cedra who came from a more wealthy family and was accepted into Brown. I believe those two used computers as a tool rather than a sole way of success, where as Luisa who also came from a less fortunate background and Travis placed too much emphasis on computers as their scapegoat. Luisa actually is worse off in school because of everything she’s tried to add to her plate and relied too much on her computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment