Friday, January 30, 2009

Is our blog a third place? Yes and no

I would have to agree that in some ways our blog is a third space, and in other ways it is not. It is a neutral ground, a leveler, and conversation is the main activity. So far it seems pretty accommodating and there will probably be regulars. It keeps a low profile because you can say whatever you want behind a computer screen. I would disagree that the mood is playful. Yes everyone made friendly introductions, but when we start posting on some of the articles, our opinions may not agree with what other people are saying. We may also judge each other by what was said. To me that does not seem like a third place, and I'm not sure if it's a home a way from home.

1 comment:

jnormington said...

I would have to agree with you for the most part. I do disagree about the playful part of it, not necessarily with you but about the definition of a third place. So many times when I go to places I consider a "third place" the mood may not be playful. Sometimes, there are serious discussions there. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, it's just something that happens when people feel comfortable about expressing themselves. So I guess this blog could qualify as a third place, without necessarily being playful.

Post a Comment