Friday, January 30, 2009

Is this a 3rd place?

This blog is neutral and leveling in that we are all students in this class. We are equals in that respect and therefore equals in our interactions here. Conversation is the only activity since this is a virtual space where conversation is what we are doing. It is only accessible to people in this class. However we can access it from any computer which makes it more accessible to many of us but for a person who does not have their own computer it is only accessible in a place where they can use a computer and the internet. It has regulars. We will all be regulars, if only for our participation points. It is not flashy. It is not advertised. The mood so far is playful since all we have posted is general facts about ourselves however these posts are far less playful in that they are a serious analysis of class discussion. It is homework, which I rarely think of as playful. I would not consider this a home away from home. As a student, school is my work. Therefore this blog, as something I am doing for school, is part of my work and therefore not a third place but part of my second place.

No comments:

Post a Comment