Friday, January 30, 2009

Is our blog a third place?

I would say that our blog is a third place in respect to the facts that it is on neutral ground (as long as you're in the class,) it's a leveler in the sense of race and age, but not so much for socioeconomic class and intelligence. Conversation is obviously the main activity, and because we all have the money to be here, we all probably have the money to have a computer, or if we don't, there are computers provided at the library, so it is accessible and accommodating. We are all regulars here, or soon will be. It has a low profile, in the sense that anyone could right anything relevant and it would be accepted as a valid opinion. I don't know if the mood is necessarily playful, because it is for a class, but I don't think it has the gravity of existentialism or anything. The one reason I would argue that this is not a third place is that I don't think this is a home away from home. Maybe a blog about something I do for fun or activities I'm interested in would be, but even then, I've always been more of a real world girl and I've never been huge on virtual reality or technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment